“A Land We Can Share” Teaching Literacy to Students with Autism
Teachers are going to love this book! Passionate and practical, it moves beyond “sight words” and other functional literacy skills and provides the know-how for bringing quality, meaningful literacy instruction to students with autism. Authored by respected, dynamic scholars in autism and literacy, the book breaks new ground as it focuses specifically on ways in which educators can improve literacy outcomes for students with autism spectrum disorders in Grades K–12 classrooms.
Teachers will learn:
- research-based practices in reading and writing instruction, including those consistent with the recommendations of Reading First
- ideas for planning lessons, differentiating instruction, and designing a classroom environment that promotes literacy learning while addressing the individual needs of learners with autism
- techniques for assessing students who do not or cannot show their literacy learning in traditional ways due to communication or learning differences
- strategies for including students with autism in a wide range of classroom literacy activities
- teaching tips from the words and experiences of people with autism spectrum labels and from the authors’ own extensive classroom experience
This guidebook brings cutting-edge literacy concepts to special educators who are already familiar with autism but may not have specific training in teaching reading skills and is an essential “literacy meets autism” primer for general educators and reading specialists. For all readers, the book underscores the ways in which literacy can help every learner achieve a more fulfilling, rich, and inclusive academic life.
2 in stock
You may also like…
For parents of children with Down syndrome comes this nationally recognized, proven method to teach reading skills through flashcards, games, charts, and books.$34.95 Product Details »
Packed with strength-based strategies and reinforcement activities for the development/acquisition of literacy skills designed for students with special learning needs, including Autism Spectrum Disorders and Down Syndrome.$41.95 Product Details »