Superflex® and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue! Empower Your Thinkable® to Defeat Your Unthinkable®
In 2008, Social Thinking introduced the Superflex superhero curriculum to help students learn about different social challenges that affect us all (represented by the 14 original Unthinkable characters) and that we each have our own Superflex inside that can help us overcome these challenges. Kids, teachers, clinicians and groups around the globe eagerly adopted the curriculum, creating their own Social Town Academy in cities and towns far and wide.
As citizens got better and better using their superflexible strategies, a cool thing happened: Thinkables started appearing. While Unthinkables represent the different social processing and self-regulating challenges we face, Thinkables are the mighty forces we acquire as we learn to be strong social detectives and social responders.
For every Unthinkable there is a Thinkable counterpart, and each Thinkable has its own special powers.
• Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue! complements the teachings found in Superflex Takes on Glassman and the Team of Unthinkables.
• Superflex and Focus Tron to the Rescue! complements the teachings found in Superflex Takes on Brain Eater and the Team of Unthinkables.
• Be sure you’ve taught the Superflex curriculum before using these individual storybooks!
Social Thinking introduced the Thinkables in 2012, in the book Social Town Citizens Discover 82 New Unthinkables® for Superflex® to Outsmart! They also introduced the Power Pals and the Five-Step Power Plan (referenced in the Kool Q. Cumber book). The Power Plan helps organize children’s thinking so they can more effectively problem solve what’s happening around them. This aligns with and supports the four steps in our Social Competency Model: attend, interpret, problem solve, respond.
Citizens can call on their Thinkable powers anytime, anyplace, to help them! Citizens love the positive, empowering message the Thinkables represent. “I can defeat my Unthinkable! I can use my flexible thinking and strategies! I can do this!”
Children will see the same characters and settings in both companion books, to help with understanding. Therefore, we recommend teaching through the Unthinkable companion book first.
Superflex and Kool Q. Cumber to the Rescue! complements the teachings found in Superflex Takes on Glassman and the Team of Unthinkables.
The Thinkable Kool Q. Cumber helps Social Town citizens remember to stay calm when problems happen. That way, citizens can stop and use their superflexible thinking to figure out the size of a problem. And, if a problem is only a small one, they can have only a small emotional reaction. That’s expected!
Content in this storybook connects to and supports these Social Thinking Vocabulary and concepts:
• Figuring out the Size of the Problem
• Learning to match reaction size to size of the problem (expected behavior)
• Social attention/observation: what are other kids doing/how are they reacting?
• Flexible thinking
• Using strategies to defeat Glassman: calm my body, breathe in, tighten all my muscles, breathe out and relax them; use positive self-talk
• Using the Five-Step Power Plan to assess the social dilemma:
o Decider, Social Detective, Brakester, Flex Do Body, Cranium Coach
Kool Q. Cumber can help when other Unthinkables invade your brain alongside Glassman, including Rock Brain, Worry Wall, D.O.F. (Destroyer of Fun)
Suitable for ages 8 – 13
5 in stock