Looking for an appropriate person to provide respite or in-home care can be a daunting task. The person needs to be a good fit with both the child and the family. How do you find the best person? What qualities to you look for?
Before you even start looking and interviewing, ask the following questions and write down your answers:
- What are our family values?
- Do you want someone who shares your family values or do you want to introduce your family to different ways of thinking?
- What kind of pace does your family feel comfortable with?
- What is your lifestyle – casual or formal?
- Is your family structured with routine or are you spontaneous?
- Do you value privacy or are you more open with personal issues?
- How much time are you willing to devote to train someone or do you want someone with a lot of experience?